I studied at the University of Granada. I have a degree and a PhD in Biological Sciences. After some years teaching in Secondary Education, most of my professional career has been as a teacher at the University of Almeria, where I was trained as a researcher in Botany and Ecology.I have also taught courses and masters at the University of Granada and the International University of Andalusia. In the field of consultancy I have been collaborating with the Ministry of Ecological Transition for more than 10 years in the Biogeographic Process of the Habitats Directive in Europe, and in the development of a monitoring system based on remote sensing of the Spanish Network of National Parks. At the regional level (Andalusia) I am a member of the Participation Council of the Sierra Nevada Natural Area and the Biodiversity Council of the province of Almeria.
Since 2022 I am Professor of Biodiversity and Ecosystems at the University of Almeria. I teach at the University of Almeria Global Change and Socioecological Systems and Conservation and Management of Species in the Degree in Environmental Sciences, Methods for Biodiversity Monitoring in the Master in Sustainable Use of Natural Resources and Ecosystem Services. I am also professor of Ecosystem Functions and Services in the Master of Conservation, Management and Restoration of Biodiversity at the University of Granada.
My research focuses on the assessment of ecosystem functioning and services, biodiversity and ecosystems in arid zones and translational ecology. For this, I conduct field sampling (biodiversity, radiometry and vegetation ecophysiology) at local scales, and use remote sensing techniques and geographic information systems for studies at regional or global scales. I am also interested in the development of transdisciplinary processes to improve the interaction between science, managers, decision-makers and society in the implementation of environmental policies, particularly those aimed at biodiversity conservation. More recently, I have incorporated into my work the analysis of the relationships between ecosystems and human systems.
RESEARCH GROUP: Ecozonar (Ecology of Arid Zones) (RNM-174)
- Ecosystem functions and services.
- Biodiversity conservation.
- Socio-ecological systems.
PARTICIPATION IN NETWORKS (REGIONAL/NATIONAL/INTERNATIONAL)
- Network of Global Change Observatories of Andalusia.
- LTSER - Long Term Socio-economic and Ecosystem Research.
- GEOBON ecosystem functions and ecosystem services groups.
PROJECTS TO HIGHLIGHT
- Scientific Infrastructures for Monitoring and Adaptation to Global Change in Andalusia (INDALO, LIFEWATCH-2019-04-AMA-01).
- Nature-based solutions for resilient management of the hydrological cycle in mountain areas: the traditional water management systems of Sierra Nevada (NbS4Water)
- PUBLONS: https://publons.com/researcher/564517/javier-cabello/
- Twitter: @jcabellopi